The Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR) established the Krishi Vigyan Kendra, Sindhudurg during 1996 under the administrative control of Sindhudurg Zilha Krishi Pratishthan (SZKP), Kirlos. The KVK is conceived as a Knowledge Center for imparting need based skill oriented training to practicing farmers, farm women, rural youth and extension functionaries from Sindhudurg district of Maharashtra. Besides conducting front line demonstration on proven technologies and also On – Farm Testing for refining the improved technologies. It works on the principles of ‘Learning by doing’ and ‘teaching by doing ‘by arranging work experiences to farmers.
UNIQUE FEATURES OF KVK
- Creation of valuable resources in terms of technical manpower and assets.
- Confirmation of technologies to suit local specificity.
- Showcasing the frontier technologies
- Capacity building among stakeholders
- Front runner in technological application, information and inputs
- Participatory approaches in planning,implementing,executing and evaluation
All KVKs are working towards reducing the time lag between generation of technology at the research institution and its application to the location specific farmer fields for increasing production, productivity and net farm income on a sustained basis with the following mandate.